Welcome to SparkleTrek

So named for my love of glitter... and Star Trek ;). I hope the posts here will be useful and enjoyable to read.

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Smashbox Eye Wish Palette Review

Hi again, this is a review for the palette I have included in this weeks make-up shuffle.

Its the Smashbox Eye Wish Palette from the 2009 holiday collection. It contains 12 Eyeshadows, 4 Eyeliners and a mini Photo Finish Eyeshadow Primer.
Here it is closed:

The main material is a sturdy cardboard and the outside of the palette is covered in a faux leather type material.

and open:

At the top there is a mirror which is good quality but the palette is a bit bulky to hold up when doing my makeup. There is also an Eye Wish Look Book which contains sample eyeshadow looks. I don't tend to use this as i like to create my own looks and i find the techniques in the book aren't ones i would use. For example it shows a classic smokey eye with the lighter colour in the crease and dark color on the lashline, i would place the light colour on my lids and the darkest shade in my crease for a smokey look. The look book does make it a great palette for those new to make-up or eyeshadow as it gives the basics for someone to get started.

The products:



Shadows: For the most part these are soft and well pigmented but like every other palette I own there always seems to be a couple of shades that aren't as good as the rest. And they do tend to be purple, not sure why but I find purples the most common culprit for having poor colour payoff.
In this palette it is shades 3 and 5 that just don't quite live up to the others. Shade 3 is a pale yellow satin shade, this is quite hard in texture and not very pigmented, in the pan where i have used it it has formed hard lumps of products. Shade 5 is the bright purple shade, also satin. This one just gives no payoff at all, i had to rub by finger in the shade several times to get enough colour to swatch it.
This palette has a good range of neutral and coloured shades in both cool and warms tones meaning there is something for everyone in this palette. I do find that in most of the palettes i like there is one shade that really wows me but this palette just doesn't have that. I like lots of the shades but i just don't love any of them.
I have also noticed using this palette again and trying to create todays FotD is that there are no really deep dark crease shades in here.

Swatches:
L-R: 1 - 12 in natural light.

L-R: 1 - 12 with flash

Liners: There are cream liners, 2 shimmery shades and 2 matte. These aren't the most pigmented cream liners i have used but they do glide on easily without tugging on the lids. I do usually have to go over my line again to get a completely opaque shade. The set does not come with a eyeliner brush and most people who are new to eye make-up (who i feel this palette is aimed at) would not have one. I think this palette might have been better if it just had 16 shadows or possible something more user friendly could have been added instead such as lip glosses or maybe a couple of blushes.

Swatches:

L-R: 13 - 16 with flash to show shimmer.

Photo Finish Lid Primer: Great thing to include, primer is pretty much an essential if you wear eyeshadow so having this one to try out is great. This is a good primer and does work to keep the shadow last longer and look brighter. Though like most of these mini tubes you feel like you are wasting quite alot as you can't get all the product out.

I had a quick play about in my collection and I think I see why I don't use this much. If I wanted a gold i would probably grab my Urban Decay Half Baked (possibly an exact dupe) or Honey rather than Shade 7. Or maybe a magenta shade; UD Fishnet is a much more unique and more pigmented shade than Shade 11. I mentioned Shade 5 having no payoff, so i'd grab UD Flash instead.
Theres no shade in here that makes me reach for this palette, even if it was just one shade as i would find myself using others to go alongside.

Though having done that FoTD #1 I did find I liked shade 1 as a matte highlight, reminds me a bit of MAC's Mylar shadow - will need to check this out next time i'm near a MAC.

Overall: I think this is a good palette but just isn't anything special. The colours are nice but again there is nothing really unique. I'd say this is good for beginners but if you have a lot of shadows already you probably won't find this to be anything amazing.

Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment